Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Nick Arrojo-Yosh-ISSE-Vendors-Stylist Friends-Fun

This past weekend I had the opportunity to go up to Long Beach California and attend the ISSE Hair Show Convention. There were 7 of us total that headed up Sunday morning and we hit the floor to see all the vendors and then we spent the night at the Hyatt- Long Beach which conveniently is connected to the Long Beach Convention Center.
While wandering around taking in the hundreds of vendors doing a "dog and pony" show to get your attention, listening to DJ's spin, watching amazing stylists perform on stage I ended up in front of the ARROJO booth.
Arrojo? you say....
Well let me fill you in. Nick Arrojo is this fantastic super hair stylist that used to do the hair makeovers on What not to Wear. So he's famous and in the beauty industry he is pretty much giant the big cheese if you will. Well he's on stage one minute and the next BAM he's standing right next to us. Needless to say there were some photo ops.
Some of the stylists were star struck, I don't think I get star struck, I'm just kinda like "Cool, this guy is pretty neat"

Flash forward to a few hours later. We were all sitting in the lounge of the hotel just chilling. Bam Nick is standing right behind me and another stylist. She is in awe and can't even turn around to look at him. She wanted his picture so bad but couldn't ask so I did.
Nick being the totally awesome down to earth guy that he is obliged. There were several more photos taken and lots of talk.

The next day we hit his cutting class and he truly inspired. He really is amazing!

After Nick we had a lunch break and then we hit the technical theater again to see Yosh. Yosh is this out of the world hair dresser that is 70 years old and is still teaching and working behind the chair! He is seriously the Mr. Miyagi of hair. He just moves and the hair fabulous. He is a funny short Asian man. To watch him cut is crazy because you have no idea where he is going and then all of a sudden its done and fantastic. If only I could get in his head for a little while.....

And did I mention that he did a whole demonstration using hats on his head to show how careful we have to be with choosing shape for a clients face!? Genius I say Genius!

So I went up with some friends and coworkers and came back we were all friends! I also got to purchase some great makeup brushes at a largely discounted price and I got to go to a club and dance! Life is good my friends! I missed Nate tons and am so glad I am home with him now!


I do believe that the best part of this whole experience is knowing that proceeds from the ISSE went to help stop domestic violence. 


Marva would be proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment